July 14, 2005

Group Homes Regulate Time Out

Cindy Crippen is 41 years old and suffers from schizophrenia, she lives at a group home in Idaho; or at least she used to. Crippen went home to visit her family for 72 days and upon her return she discovered that she had been discharged from the hospital. Under a new county-wide policy group homes can not hold a bed for a patient unless the group home is willing to pay the tab. Crippen was not notified before or after her discharge, she did not find out until she returned to the group home.

As Shors (2005) states, "Kasey Kramer, the county's director of community services, said state guidelines require that "the person's head has to be on the pillow" for the group homes to be paid with public money. He said Crippen was on vacation for 72 days, which her family confirmed. 'We can't pay for services for a person who is not here,' Kramer said. 'From a public stewardship position, I think it's an appropriate policy to have.'"

This policy has affected others who have taken vacations only to return to a place that is no longer their home. In Crippen's case she was luckily reinstated by Kramer and said that he had not known that United Behavioral Health (UBH) had forced others out due to the policy. The policy even does not allow group homes to hold beds for those who must go the hospital for a brief time.

The county policy is obviously controversial in that it is discharging clients when they may still be in desperate need of living at the home that they were kicked out of. It does not seem fair to have patients kicked out because they had to go to the hospital for health reasons or because they were visiting their family. Some say that this makes the homes look more like an incarceration. Financially speaking this policy makes sense, but then again, are group homes developed so that they can profit their makers, or are they developed to help those in need?

The source of this article was the Idaha Edition, Spokesman Review, written there by Benjamin Shors. You can find their website at: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/


Can you provide me with information on any Group Homes in Southern NJ for Schizophrenic adults. I have a close friend who is 42 years old and lives with his father - who is becomming physically unable to help him. I am hoping to find a group home that will provide help. He does not speak much English. He is Italian and has only lived in this country for two years. He is currently living in Camden COunty NJ. Any information on Group Housing would be a great help. Thank you.

Posted by: Eileen at September 18, 2005 05:13 PM

Help..I was the 24/7 caregiver to a 25 year old schizophrenic for the the last 3 months. I was attempting to get him stabilized on meds and life after being virutally homeless for th epast 2 years. He collects SSI and has medicaid/medicare. He stole my vehicle last week and is currently in jail facing several felony charges. I need a secure facilty or group home in Florida that he can be released/sentenced to. this young man is facing several years in prison...and he will never come out of that system. Any feed back regarding a long term facility in Florida would be very help full. Thank you for your consideration. Mike S.

Posted by: Michael Sullivan at October 6, 2005 02:35 PM

Hi, my name is Jackie. I am a senior in high school and in order to graduate every senior must do a senior project. I am going to do my senior project on schizophrenia and I need a mentor. I must complete 15 hours of field work with a mentor as soon as possible. I would truly appreciate it if you can refer me to anyone if possible. Thank you!

Posted by: Jackie at October 17, 2005 07:44 PM

I'm curious if there are any group homes in Eastern New Mexico or West Texas for Schizophrenics. I have a brother with the illness and would like to see him in a home close enough to me to visit him often.

thank you

Posted by: Mary at November 13, 2005 07:27 PM

We have the same problem in Florida. Are there any group homes in the state? He is out of control , won;t take his meds.

Posted by: ron at November 15, 2005 04:34 AM

Looking for any group Homes in Ct to assist us, we have a 22 year old son who has paranoid schizophrenia. it's becoming too much for us and he definitely is in need of a higher level of treatment.

Posted by: Tim at December 9, 2005 02:32 PM

help! my daughter was dumped on me from a state hospital recently. she is a high functioning schizophrenic, but i cannot take care of her myself. i need a group home in texas (dallas/ft worth). any suggestions or resources out there? thanks.

Posted by: cheryl at January 24, 2006 02:12 PM

looking for group homes in florida for a 57 year old man with schizophrenia. nned help. thanks

Posted by: nino at February 14, 2006 08:39 AM

I am looking for a group home for my 23 year old son in the Bremerton, Washington area. He is very conservative in values and fairly independent, but schizophrenic. Any thing out there??

Posted by: N. Barnet at March 9, 2006 12:11 PM

There is a 60 yr old male from my church who I have become friends with who has schizophrania and is mentally challenged. He currently lives alone in a nice apt but I think he needs to be in some sort of group home. His social worker recommended an apt but he used to live close to there and does not like it. (He thinks the last place poisoned his food).
Do you have any idea where I could look for a place for him in the NW Minneapolis, MN suburbs? He is really a sweet man and I want someone to take good care of him. He is a devout Catholic so a Catholic home would be ideal.
Thank you!
Kathy Peterson

Posted by: Kathy Peterson at May 24, 2006 02:13 PM

need a group home or residetial treatment center in cct. 20 year old wont take his meds and out of control

Posted by: matthew at August 1, 2006 02:51 PM

Need group home in Florida too. Let's organize and buy a home and hire people. Need referrals for treatment or care.
Thank you

Posted by: Suzy at August 24, 2006 08:30 AM

I need to find housing for a 48 year old man. He is stable on his medication, but has to be supervised taking it.

Posted by: Ann at September 18, 2006 09:21 PM

Housing needs to be near Napa California

Posted by: Ann at September 18, 2006 09:27 PM

Need to find a group home for my brother in Illinois. 36 years old, can't keep a job due to schizophrania. Takes meds, but cannot seem to learn good working habits and social skills that can keep him employed. He has a 90 IQ, so this disqualifies him from all of the state funded homes that I have checked in to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Dave at January 1, 2007 06:59 PM

Need help in establishing a small group home for schizophrenics in Central Florida.

Posted by: Anne at February 5, 2007 10:54 PM

i am looking for a group home in the houston area for a 63 yr old male i am caring for. he is a fairly high functioning schizophrenic but needs help with taking medications

Posted by: ann at February 15, 2007 03:09 PM

I am just amazed at all of you who give up!
My mother in law runs a facilty with all mentally ill people
and they are some of the best people I have met.
get them help. jeeze

Posted by: marge at April 18, 2007 01:22 AM

My 19 year old son, has schizophrenia. He is involved with Young Adult Services. I have been actively involved in my child's care, but am getting nowhere. I have been trying to get him into the ISH program (Intensive Supported Housing) for 5 months now. I can no longer care for him and I don't want to throw him on the streets. He needs housing. His clinician recommended respite care. They expected a schizophrenic person to sleep on a cot in the living room where everyone walks through to access the kitchen and bathroom. My son signed the papers, but did not return to stay there due to his paranoia. I don't want him homeless and lost in the system. I need help and don't know where to turn. His sister and I can no longer tolerate his behavior. It has taken a toll on both of us physically and emotionally. Please give me some answers. I love my son dearly, but there comes a point where you have to save yourself and, in my case, my daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of places in CT where he can live? I look forward to your response asap.
Thank you.
Dawn Hebert

Posted by: Dawn at April 28, 2007 02:49 PM

I have a 41 year old son with paranoid schizophrenia that is on insulin for diabetes. He receives social security benefits and lives in a boarding home. There is an MHMR social worker that gives him insulin shots daily but there is no one to make sure that he can get his pills for the schizophrenia. He was hospitalized for the schizoprheia recently because he had been off his meds for over a year. Other than providing him with a telehphone number so that he could make an appointment for mental health services there was no service provided so that he could get to the clinic and get his precriptions for the mental illness. He refuses my assistance in any way. I need information about a group home where all aspects of his health can be addressed. Please help me get information regarding resources for him.

Posted by: Ernestina Ehrler at July 17, 2007 12:15 PM

Help!!! Looking for someplace with supervised living, sister is addict and schizophrenic but does good on meds. Please forward any information, living in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Posted by: Rosy at July 19, 2007 05:30 AM

Please help me find a group home in Central Florida for a family member with Schitzophrenia. He is in his 50's. Thank you Denene

Posted by: Denene at July 24, 2007 10:39 AM

There are private places through an organization called ARTA www.artausa.org but they do cost alot of money. :( I am in the same boat as you all. I dont know what to do except try and raise money to send my son somewhere. I am also an advocate and will not stop trying to find a way to help this situation..anyone else want to join me just pop me an email.

Posted by: Victoria at August 22, 2007 04:58 AM

I am searching for housing for a daughter in CT The results are abyssmal! I think that if a few of us used our energies to develop a club hose model like Fountain house (new York City)in the Greater Hartford area we could make a difference in our loved ones lives. I am new to this but what i see is medicate them and then let them go..because there is nothing else...
Let me know f you want to change the model of present treatment for schizophrenia victims to a better model for recovery and productive living

Posted by: meg at September 15, 2007 10:19 AM

I am looking for facilities in Central Texas for my mother who has schizophrenia. She is in her early 60's. I was told by APS that she has to be in a facility that has to be locked down so to speak. From prior experiences she has a tendency to just walk off. I am looking for some type of assisted living since the docs say she should function fine in one.

Posted by: Joe at September 18, 2007 05:54 PM

Hi, my aunt has bipolar and schizophrenia. Her whole life she has pretty much been on her own and independent but just recently she moved into a group home. I am trying to find other group homes in the Lancaster County area in Pennsylvania. Thank you!

Posted by: Jennifer at October 19, 2007 10:44 AM

I am writing a fictional story about caring for an adult son with schizophrenia. I believe it's one way to generate more awareness of this disabling disease. Could any of you please share some of your own personal stories with me? As parents we do everything we can to help our children. But there seems to be very little support for this disease. So what happens when your adult children don't take the meds? Do you eventually give up and let them slip away into their own lives? sometimes on the street? I'm curious about that pivotal point where nothing seems to work. And also, do you ever see any signs of the child you used to know and the loving relationship you once shared with your child when they were younger, before being affected by schizophrenia?

Thank you in advance, for providing me some feedback.

Posted by: Kathy at October 19, 2007 03:30 PM

I am a widow with a 35 year old son with mental illness since he was 16. He is having a major setback now and living in a group home seems not to be enough help for him. I cannot take him in due to my health. I am desperatly looking for a place for him to live. He needs assisted living. The place he is now is not enough for him. He is independent and sometimes misses medicine and also tends to self medicate with alcohol. We live in the state oh Ohio. My son need help soon.

Posted by: joy at December 16, 2007 09:45 AM

My 52 year old sister needs to find housing in CT. For the past 30 years she's been living with our parents, but she is now feeling pressure and checked herself into the hospital. After release on Monday, we are trying to find her a group sitution, as it is becoming too much for her at home. Is there a list of housing options in CT, I can't seem to find much online.

Posted by: Ann Fitzgerald at January 4, 2008 10:21 AM

My 45-year old son in San Francisco has bi-polar schizophrenia and is on the steets due to not being able to find housing he can afford. I am looking for a group home. I can't find much housing information on my own. Can you help? Thank you. Deloris

Posted by: Deloris Rehrer at January 12, 2008 11:01 AM

I must be ignorant, but I don't see other people's email addresses.

Denene asked about a home in Central Florida. How do I communicate with you folks? Did you find a place Denene?

My email address is Kent4142@mac.com

Posted by: Kent Titcomb at February 7, 2008 05:41 PM

am desperate for a decent group home in broward county florida. the ones i know of are all located in crack town usa. any help will be appreciated

Posted by: angela sansone at March 19, 2008 09:36 AM

Looking for a group home in Central Nj for relative with Pscho-affective disorder. 30 yr. old male. Please help!

Posted by: Anne Dempsey at April 28, 2008 10:13 AM

Looking for a group home in Northeast Ohio for my 45-year-old brother who has schizophrenia. Please help.

Posted by: Maria at May 8, 2008 06:38 AM

I need to find a group home for my mother in south Texas(San Antonio or Austin)any suggestions?

Posted by: claudia at May 9, 2008 11:29 AM

I would like information on any kind of group home or supervised housing in Orange, Seminole, or Brevard counties.

Posted by: Nancy at May 17, 2008 07:21 PM

I am looking for a group home for my daughter in Central Florida. She have schizophrenia and is hard to live with. She refuses to take her meds.

Please help.

Posted by: E. Collier at May 19, 2008 05:56 PM

schizophrenia is a heartbreaking illness for the patient, patient's family and friends. I am presently helping a family whose 30 year old son is suffering with this illness. He is such a sweet and nice person when he is taking his medication. He could never stay on treatment and often turns on to alcohol. He lives alone though has a lot of family support. Family members are not able to let him stay in their homes because of fear of his sporadic violent behavior especially when he is drunk. Is it possible to declare him incompetent in terms of making decisions for his treatments and medications? Are there assisted living facilities in Broward that will help him? How much financial support will the government provide. This person is not working and is receiving social security check. Right now he is baker acted and hospitalized.

Posted by: myrna fran at May 27, 2008 04:41 PM


Posted by: CAROL JONES at June 3, 2008 10:10 PM

I want to bring my 38 year old brother back to central New Jersey to be closer to family. He has schizophrenia. he has been in and out of hospitals for over a year. Is there some kind of group home in the area? Financial support? Thank You!

Posted by: Kerri at June 17, 2008 07:26 PM

Post a comment

Please enter this code to enable your comment -
Remember Me?
(you may use HTML tags for style)
* indicates required